One of the early areas settled in South Crosby Ward at the beginning of the 19th century, Crosby was first called "Singleton's Corners" after the Singleton family, prominent settlers in the area. In 1898, it was renamed Crosby to avoid confusion with a western community of the same name. Located at the intersection of the Brockville-Farmersville (Athens) - Westport Road (County Rd. 42) and the Kingston- Smiths Falls Road (Highway 15), Crosby was a thriving community at the turn of the century, boasting a railway station on the Brockville-Westport line, two blacksmiths, a butcher, two general merchants, a steam-powered mill and a nearby cheese factory. After World War II, change came and accelerated when the B. & W. blew its last whistle and the original crossroads was by-passed by the relocation of highway 15.
Evidence still remains of a bustling community. The brick school house built in 1907 as SS#2 and the large brick general store built by W.A. Singleton (ca. 1900) remain to mark the nucleus of the community but are now dedicated to other purposes. The first drive-in theatre in North Leeds no longer shows "Ma and Pa Kettles". But the Crosby "flea market" located at the corner of the Narrows Lock Road has been in existence long enough to have become a local institution
Several early homes can be found in the area. The Thomas Bass house (South Crosby Ward, Lot 21, Con 3) built ca. 1830 represents one of the earliest surviving buildings in the Ward. The Mary Anne Scott log house and ash house (South Crosby Ward, Lot 26, Con 3) built ca. 1835 were relegated to the farmyard when replaced by a classic frame house late in the 19th century. One survivor of the many cheese factory buildings which operated in the Township now serves as a house and machine shop although still exhibiting the distinctive profile of a cheese factory with its weighing-in stand. Several early stone buildings, exhibiting the distinctive craftsmanship of the same mason, survive in the area.