Township of Rideau Lakes
Your location: Township Home > Heritage > Forfar

Heritage of the Township
FORFAR

First known as "Hales Corner" in honour of an early settler, Forfar was renamed after the birthplace of a later resident, a Mr. Stevenson from Scotland. This community thrived from its location on the Brockville-Westport Road and later as a junction station with the CNR Line between Napanee and Smiths Falls.

Forfar Cheese Factory
Forfar Cheese Factory
Rich farmland, a bountiful climate and innovative farmers have all contributed to dairying in the Forfar area, the site of the first AI dairy herd improvement program in Canada. Forfar has been the scene of making fine cheese for over 130 years. In fact, Forfar Dairy is the only operating independent cheese factory in the Township, the last of the many that once made Leeds County famous for its cheddar. Located here as well is a feed mill and store. On Country Road 42 itself and on Lockwood Lane and Young's Hill Road can be found many surviving 19th century buildings.



Back to Heritage Page      Back to Interactive Map


Top of Page
Top of Page

Township of Rideau Lakes, 1439 County Road 8, Delta, ON, K0E 1G0
email: info@twprideaulakes.on.ca

Home | About Us | Departments | Minutes | By-laws | Permits | Notices | Recreation | Heritage | Tourism | Links

* Disclaimer *

© Township of Rideau Lakes