Settlement of South Crosby began shortly after the first concessions were laid out. Walter Davis who settled on the second concession in 1800 was its first landowner. In the next few years other pioneers moved onto the fertile land found in the first three concessions. Settlement then proceeded slowly, discouraged by the rugged relief of this part of the Frontenac Axis. The construction of the Rideau Canal provided a focus for development and a corridor for commerce throughout the 19th century. Now the many beautiful lakes, islands and forested hills of South Crosby Ward provide a mecca for tourists and cottagers.